In this post I would discuss on determining Internet speed/quality of your connection. The Internet speed provided by ISP is one of the critical factors in determining the quality of your browsing experience. There are many more factors, which can affect the browsing experience.
Factors Affecting Internet Speed and Quality – What to determine ?
Here are a few major factors that play an important role in determining the quality of your connection.
- Latency of the Connection: Latency is a measurement of any delay in getting a response from the server. If latency is high your connection would be slow.
- Type of connection – dial Up, DSL, cable: If you are on a dial-up connection, you can’t expect lightening fast browsing experience.
- Device memory: An exhausted memory in your device would naturally slow up everything including your internet connection !
- Processor used in Device: Next generation Quad Core processors would help in the cause of a good internet quality.
- Software installed in your computer: If you have multitudes of apps installed in your device that would naturally slow down a lot of things, including internet.
- Quality and condition of the cable wires: A poor quality cable wire used in case of wired connection would impact internet speed.
- Distance between your device and the router: Lesser the distance, faster the speed. If you are miles away from your router, you can’t expect blazing speed.
- Website Server Location: If you are trying to access a website whose server is in other part of the globe, you will experience delays !
- Usage of proxy while accessing Internet: Many corporate network access internet through proxies, this would have a negative impact on speed.
- Shared bandwidth: If the ISP bandwidth is shared by more connections, your individual connection will slow down.
- Antivirus, spyware installed in your device: Antivirus and Spyware are well known for their adverse impact on internet speed.
- Type of modem used: A poor quality modem severely impacts internet speed.
- Your Device hardware: If your LAN Card, Video Card etc are of poor quality, it will show up in your connection speeds.
Irrespective of the above factors, your ISP support personal can help you increase the quality of your browsing experience. They can optimize the device configuration, Anti Virus Configuration and how the Internet modem and router are positioned. This can boost the Internet quality.The whole idea is to get what you pay for.
But you need to check your Internet speed before you reach out to any support, so that you can give them some statistics as to what plan you choose and how good or bad the service has been in general. This would help them to take necessary steps or suggest you ways to improve your Internet speed and quality. They can suggest you to update your device configuration, modem type or the basic setup etc.
Where to Test Internet Speed?
We have some great websites, which help you determine the connection speed.
- speedtest.net: This site is now a days treated as a benchmark and their speed test results are quite accurate, the reason being – they have a whole lot of test servers scattered across the world and by default a server close to your location is used for the test, this significantly reduces the error arising due to distance. You can test both upload/download speeds here. They are the most widely used sites when it comes to benchmarking an Internet connection. Speedtest.net is a name that stands for reliability.
- testmy.net: They have a few categories of speed tests – Download speed test, Upload speed test, and Automatic speed test. You can bench mark your connection against any of these category and use it to report to your ISP. They have a good responsive UI and can be used in any device – Android, IOS or Desktop devices.
- AT&T Speed Test and Verizon Speed Test: Trusted names in network and ISP, AT&T and Verizon too give users a way to test their Internet speed. Good news is you don’t have to be their customers to use their test. They too use two criteria to benchmark your Internet connection – Upload Speed and Download speed.
- Speed.io: A cool front end and jazzy looking page welcomes you to test the Internet connection. They boast of accuracy in their results and rightly so. My test results where quite accurate based upon the plan I had chosen. In addition to Upload and Download speed they also give stats related to number of connections per minute, which is quite helpful. During browsing we always fire up multiple connections to servers and this benchmark can be helpful in determining how good your connection is in establishing multiple connection environment.